Before we get into the details, let's discuss what NetSuite can do with and without the Credit Card Processing feature.
If you have an external credit card processing system and want to keep it separate, NetSuite does have all the credit card features available to you out-of-the-box, minus the actual card processing:
- You can store customer credit cards on the Customer Record
- You can select stored credit cards or manually enter card information on sales transactions
- You can manually flag a card as approved/charged on sales transactions
Once you turn on NetSuite's Credit Card Processing feature and set up your accounts, you will be able to:
- Get card authorization based on configurable rules using Sales Order records, effectively reserving the funds
- Easily follow up authorization denials using Payment Events
- Charge cards on Cash Sale records
- Charge cards on Customer Payment records for paying invoices
- Refund cards on Cash Refund records
Merchant Accounts and Gateways
To properly set up credit card processing in NetSuite, you need to have a Merchant Account that is set up with a Gateway. The Merchant Account is the bank account where the credit card payments will be accepted, and the Gateway is the service that actually processes the credit card (authorization, charging, etc.). That being said, the (3) companies currently supported directly in NetSuite (CyberSource, Merchant e-Solutions and WorldPay) offer both the Merchant Account and Gateway in one package.
Note: if you already have a merchant account with another provider, you may be able to get NetSuite to support you. Check with your Account Manager for more details.
A question we get very often is: "Which of these gateway partners is best for me?" There are so many variables to this that your best bet is to simply call each of them, one after another. To determine pricing, they will ask about things such as transaction volume, in which countries or regions you will be accepting payments, if you have an existing account, etc.
To contact each gateway partner, NetSuite has provided some links directly from within your account, as described in the next section.
To configure your credit card processing account, as Administrator go to Setup > Accounting > Credit Card Processing:
You will end up on this screen:
That's all there is to it! Once it's all set up, you can start processing credit cards in NetSuite directly! Note that there are some advanced concepts that I've skipped in this blog, such as Payment Holds, which could be the subject of another blog entry in the future.